Sunday 10 May 2015

Macros: What Are they?

Aloha, if you're working towards your summer bod you'll probably be watching what you eat. You'll probably have heard the term 'macros' thrown about. But what do you actually need to look for? Fear not chums, hopefully I'll be able to explain this one and help you reach your ab goals.

Macros simply means macronutrients, which is the breakdown of the large food types you need in your diet. This mainly comprises of fat, protein and carbohydrates.
Remember that picture of the plate with food on from your childhood?

Whilst this isn't a perfect example, you get the general idea of what macros are now. So how do you track them and stick to your goals?

The main thing I'd reccomend is downloading the MyFitnessPal app (it's free), and just logging your meals, snacks, drink intake and exercise for a couple of days. There's a super handy part of the app which gives you a pie chart breakdown of how much protein, carbohydrates and fat you should be eating to reach your goals. You can break this down further to see which foods are helping you out reaching your targets and which aren't.



I've never had a problem with knowingly undereating but after a few days logging my intake, I realised that not only were my percentages of protein, carbs and fats all wrong, but I actually wasn't eating enough calories to reach my goal- which is to add some weight through building muscle.
Now that I've corrected this and eating my full recomended calorie intake each day, and in the right proportions, I honestly can't tell you enough how much it has improved my gains and general health! I feel so much more alert and full of energy and because I'm eating more good foods, I feel much fuller and no longer feel the need to snack on the not so good stuff!

What's your favourite fitness app for keeping you on track?

Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment