Sunday 26 February 2012

Oh Mr Darcy

Thought I'd better explain why I chose my blog name, for those who hadn't already guessed it is in reference to a certain Pride and Prejudice character. I take English Literature for A level and although I've always been a bookworm, I'd never really branched into the classics before and this was the first book we read in class. Those who know a little about it will know the main focus is supposed to be on Elizabeth Bennet as an outspoken woman in a time where a woman's purpose was to look pretty and marry a rich husband, and Elizabeth as a character challenged these views. I won't get into to why or I won't stop but I really disliked Elizabeth, the way she spends the whole book being very cynical on love, judgemental even though she 'prides' herself on being open minded doesn't work with me and I was much more drawn to the character of Darcy. I think my favourite quote ever is something he says:

'I certainly have not the talent in which some people possess, of conversing easily with those I have never seen before. I cannot catch their tone of conversation, or appear interested in their concerns, as I often see done.'

Love it! I feel it really relates to me, when I know the background of someone and feel comfortable around them I'm so confident, but put me in a situation where everyone else already knows each other and I fall apart. I guess I'm pretty opinionated but I learnt a long time ago that there's no need to voice a lot of them, and one of my main hates is the falseness of so many girls my age; can't keep a friend for more than a minute, pretend they like someone/hate someone because that's what the crowds doing.... just not me. Not sure if all that ramble makes sense but I hope someone else feels the same way as me!

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment